College in the Spotlight: The University of South Dakota
Location: Vermillion, South Dakota – Sioux Falls and Sioux City are less than an hour away
Size: 7,633 undergraduate students
- There are 205 undergraduate programs and 65 graduate programs.
- The top five undergraduate programs are nursing, business, psychology, elementary teacher education, and biology.
- A tradition that began in 1914, Dakota Days is their week long homecoming celebration. Each day of the week consists of giveaways and special events. The week ends with a parade and football game.
- There are 17 NCAA Division 1 sports.
- Campus dining has recently added Chick-Fil-A, Qdoba, and Einstein Bros. Yum!
- William O. “Doc” Farber was a political science teacher who died at the age of 97 in 2007. If you want to make sure you get good grades, stop by the statue and wish him well.
- “The keys to a happy, acceptable, and productive life are participation, involvement, and concern for others. I have hoped, by example, to inspire you to be change agents. Often your intellect, i know, has been superior to my own: only my experience has been greater and that I have tried to permit by association ‘to rub off on you.'” I love this quote from Doc Farber. I think it speaks to what LC is all about with the Community Service Learning program and the encouragement to get involved.
- There is plenty to do around campus. Downtown is within walking distance where you can visit shops, restaurants, etc.
- The USD Wellness Center was ranked as one of the Coolest College Recreation Centers by Men’s Health Magazine. Best College Reviews states that it has its own kitchen where you can learn to cook healthy meals. A meditation room is also a unique characteristic of this gym.
For more information, visit http://www.usd.edu.