For this edition of 50 Sates, 50 Colleges, we are headed to the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington!
- Evergreen’s academic program is not a traditional one. Rather than completing a major that has pre-requisites and specific courses you need to take, students create their own area of emphasis. You can even create your own title that reflects the coursework you choose! Also, rather than sign up for the traditional 4 or 5 classes a semester, students choose one program. The program focuses on one main idea.
- Students do not receive letter grades. Instead, narrative evaluations are given by faculty members. The purpose of this is to see the thinking and effort that is behind a traditional letter grade.
- With over 70 to choose from, Evergreen has some unique clubs, such as Shellfish Club, Gaming Guild, and Hip Hop Congress!
- Despite it’s non-traditional academic program, students do graduate with a bachelor’s degree and can continue on to graduate school.
- Evergreen’s location is perfect for outdoor activities and allows you to explore a number of fun and exciting events. Whether you are into art, music, hiking, or food, you can find something to do not far from campus!
- The Princeton Review lists Evergreen as one of 332 most environmentally responsible colleges in the United States and Canada. Evergreen was also rated as one of the top 10 colleges for free spirits.
This school’s academic program and mission is unique and the first I have come across. If it intrigues you at all, I encourage you to check out the website for more details and information!
Information is from the Evergreen State College website.